Happy New Year!
Happy holidays and I hope everyone has a happy new year. 2007 will go down as a great year for live music in Kelowna. With a big thanks to Jason at Doc Willoughby’s, Quinn and Katrina at the Habitat and Ryan at the Grateful Fed, this year seen a lot of local and international talent past through Kelowna. For the first time since I moved here 8 years ago, every week there was a buzz of activity with live music all around town.
Here’s my favorite local concerts of 2007:
1. Wintersleep / Wooden Stars @ Blue Gator on Oct. 30th, 2007
2. Hey Rosetta @ Doc Willoughby’s on Oct. 19th, 2007
3. Grady / Murder City Sparrows @ Doc Willoughby’s on Dec. 3rd, 2007
4. Alphababy @ Doc’s, Rockanagan Festival on Sept. 28-29, 2007
5. Jill Barber / Jim Bryson @ The Blue Gator on May 8th, 2007
6. Danny Michel with Shane Koyczan @ Doc Willoughby’s on May 11th, 2007
7. Hey Ocean / The Pack @ Doc Willoughby’s on July 21st, 2007
8. Haut Chaucis on the Fintry, Rockanagan Festival on Sept. 28-29, 2007
9. Terza Rima @ The Habitat on Halloween
10. Skavenjah @ Doc Willoughby’s on July 16th, 2007
What were you favorite local shows? email me at firstname.lastname@example.org and let me know. I know there were at least a dozen shows I couldn’t make it to, and they would have likely made it to my top 10 list.
You will notice that there are no shows listed from Prospera Place. So I’ve had to go to Vancouver and Seattle for many shows, but hopefully that will change and more big-name acts will start coming through town. In the meantime, we have a slew of great local and Canadian talent that are finally recognizing Kelowna as a viable place to come and see live music. Here’s my personal favorite (out-of-town) concerts of ’07:
1. Roger Waters @ GM Place on June 21st, 2007
2. The Allman Brothers Band @ the Beacon Theatre, New York City on April 7th, 2007
3. Stevie Wonder @ Chateau Ste. Michelle Winery on August 31, 2007
4. Eric Clapton / Robert Cray @ GM Place on March 23rd, 2007
5. The Police / Fiction Plane @ GM Place on May 28th, 2007
6. Van Halen / Ky-Mani Marley @ GM Place on Dec. 5th, 2007
7. Bert Jansch @ Bumbershoot Festival on Sept. 1 – 2, 2007
8. Crowded House (with Eddie Vedder) @ Bumbershoot Festival on Sept. 1 – 2, 2007
9. Velvet Revolver / Alice in Chains / Sparta @ Pacific Coliseum on Sept. 7, 2007
10. Gogol Bordello @ Bumbershoot Festival on Sept. 1 – 2, 2007
Maybe some of these acts will swing through the Okanagan in 2008?