Portage & Main swing through Kelowna again this Saturday night. Check them out at Fernando’s at 8pm. Come early for some great authentic Mexican food!
By Alex Hudson
Starting this week…. audiences across Canada will get a taste of some folk-tinged pop rock from the West Coast when Vancouver peers Portage & Main and Redbird link up for a tour.
The outing launches with a hometown show on March 9 at the Media Club. After that, the bands will head across to the Prairies to Ontario and Quebec. They’ll go as far east as Montreal before heading back west. The Facebook page promoting the trip also promises “more dates TBA.”
In addition to the collaborative gigs, each band will play a separate show during Canadian Music Week in Toronto. Redbird will swing by the Freetimes Cafe on March 21, while Portage & Main will hit up the Rivoli on March 23 for a Music BC showcase with Current Swell, Acres of Lions, the British Columbians and more.
In addition to booking dates, Redbird will release their single “The Tower” for free through Bandcamp on February 27. Until then, see the show schedule below and hear Redbird’s prior EP,We’re All Friends and Lovers Until It Falls Apart, at the bottom of the page.
It’s always fun to look back at the local shows around Kelowna to come up with this Top 10 list. I must say, every year there seems to be new venues opening their doors to live music, and new bands popping up. It’s great to see the support of local live music fans.
1. Sloan – Barking Parrot, Penticton, BC, June 2nd, 2011
2. Great big sea – Kelowna community theatre, March 11, 2011
3. We are the city / Said the Whale / aidian knight / kingdom cloud – Kelowna community theatre, April 3rd, 2011
4. The Sheepdogs / Monster Truck – Barking Parrot, Penticton, BC, Dec. 19th, 2011
5. Imaginary Cities / The Coppertone – Doc Willoughbys, Nov. 26th, 2011
6. Wassabi Collective – Canada Day, Waterfront Park, July 1st, 2011
7. Unknown Culprits – Doc Willoughbys, April 4th, 2011
8. Five Alarm Funk – Pop Okanagan Festival, Oct. 13-15th
9. Rococode – Pop Okanagan Festival, Oct. 13-15th
10. Kingdom Cloud, Little Jungles, and Super Dew – Fernando’s, July 19th, 2011
It’s been another great year for live music in Kelowna. The inaugural Pop Okanagan festival was a big hit, and lots of Canada’s top indie bands passed through town (and a few went to Penticton’s Barking Parrot instead…K-os, Sloan, Mother Mother and the Sheepdogs) We’re closing the book on 2011, and looking ahead to more festivals, great local artists, and more touring bands passing through the Okanagan!
Lots of live music to choose from in the next few days including Matthew Good, Jazz at The Black Box Theatre, Sarah Slean, Gala for the Arts, Treelines at Habitat, The Malarkeys at the Bike Shop Cafe, and a lot more…. 27 shows to choose from on Friday and Saturday alone!